The Merchant of Venice
剧情介绍:
威尼斯富商安东尼奥为了成全好友巴萨尼奥的婚事,向犹太人者夏洛克借债。由于安东尼奥贷款给人从不要利息,并帮夏洛克的女儿私奔,怀恨在心的夏洛克乘机报复,佯装也不要利息,但若逾期不还就从安东尼奥身上割下一磅肉。不久以后,传来了安东尼奥的商船失事的消息,他的资金周转不灵,无力偿还贷款。夏洛克去法庭控告,根据法律条文要安东尼奥履行诺言。为救安东尼奥的性命,巴萨尼奥的未婚妻鲍西娅假扮律师出庭。她答应了夏洛克的要求,但要求所割的一磅肉必须正好是一磅肉,不能多也不能少,更不能流血。夏洛克因无法执行而败诉,害人不成反而失去了财产。
第四幕第一场——威尼斯
Act IVScene I —Venice. A Court of Justice.(Enter the Duke; the Magnificoes; Antonio, Bassanio, Gratiano,Salarino, Salanio and Others)
法庭公爵、众绅士、安东尼奥、巴萨尼奥、葛莱西安诺、萨拉里诺、萨莱尼奥和其他人等同上。
Duke: What, is Antonio here?
Antonio: Ready, so please Your Grace.
公爵:安东尼奥到了没?
安东尼奥:到了,殿下。
Duke: I feel sorry for you. Because the opponent you will face in court is a stonehearted , inhuman, and unsympathetic wretch who lacks
公爵:我为你感到很遗憾,因为你即将面临的法庭对手有一副铁石心肠,是个毫无人性、不懂得怜悯与同情,一贯缺乏慈爱之心的恶人。
Antonio: I have heard Your Grace hath ta'en great pains to qualify hisrigorous course; but since he stands obdurate and that no lawful meanscan carry me out of his envy's reach, I do oppose my patience to his fury,and am arm'd to suffer, with a quietness of spirit, the very tyranny andrage of his.
安东尼奥:我听说您已经竭尽全力,试图阻止他的任意妄为。但是,既然他固执己见,不肯让步,而且没有任何合法的手段可以救我脱离这个犹太人的毒手,我必定要用忍耐来对抗他的愤怒,我准备好了以平常的心态承受他残暴的处置。
Duke: Go one, and call the Jew into the court.
公爵:来人,传那犹太人到庭。
Salarino: He's ready at the door: he comes, my lord.
萨拉里诺:他就在门口等着。他来了,殿下。
(Enter Shylock)Duke: Make room, and let him stand before our face. Shylock, theworld thinks, and I think so too, that thou but lead'st this fashion of thymalice to the last hour of act; and then 'tis thought thou'lt show thy mercyand remorse more strange than is thy strange-apparent cruelty; andwhere thou now exact'st the penalty, which is a pound of this poor mer-chant's flesh, thou wilt not only loose the forfeiture, but, touch'd with hu-man gentleness and love, forgive a moiety of the principal; glancing aneye of pity on his losses, that have of late so huddled on his back, enowto press a royal merchant down, and pluck commiseration of his statefrom brassy bosoms and rough hearts of flint, from stubborn Turks andTartars, never train'd to offices of tender courtesy. We all expect a gentleanswer,
(夏洛克上)公爵:大家让开点,让他站在我的面前。夏洛克,人家都以为而且我也是这样想的,尽管你到了最后时刻仍然表现得残酷无情,实际上却会大发慈悲,你体恤人的方式一定比你的残酷行为更加出人意料。虽然你现在坚持按约处罚,要从这个可怜的商人身上割下一块肉来,但你最终可能不仅会放弃处罚,而且会因为心中的友爱之情,免除他的一部分欠款,你看看他最近遭受的巨大损失,即使是像国王那样富有的人也免不了倾家荡产,全国人——包括心肠坚硬得像顽石一样的人、从未受过教育的野蛮人、彬彬有礼的宫廷官员,都会同情他的境遇。犹太人,我们都在期待你作出温和的答复。
Jew.Shylock: I have possess'd Your Grace of what I purpose; and by ourholy Sabbath have I sworn to have the due and forfeit of my bond: if youdeny it, let the danger light upon your charter and your city's freedom.You'll ask me, why I rather choose to have a weight of carrion flesh thanto receive three thousand ducats: I'll not answer that: but, say, it is my hu-mour: is it answer'd? What if my house be troubled with a rat, and I bepleas'd to give ten thousand ducats to have it ban'd? What, are you an-swer'd yet? Some men th
ere are love not a gaping pig; some, that are madif they behold a cat; and others, when the bagpipe sings i’ the nose, can-not contain their urine: for affection, mistress of passion, sways it to themood of what it likes, or loathes. Now, for your answer; as there is no firm reason to be render'd, why he cannot abide a gaping pig; why he, a harm-less necessary cat; why he, a woollen bagpipe; but of force must yield tosuch inevitable shame as to offend, himself being offended; so can I giveno reason, nor I will not, more than a lodg'd hate and a certain loathing Ibear Antonio, that I follow thus a losing suit against him. Are you an-swer'd?
pines夏洛克:我的意思已经向殿下禀告过了;我也曾指着圣安息日起誓,一定要照约处罚安东尼奥。如果您不答应我的请求,那就是违反了宪章,威尼斯城邦的特权就有被取消的危险。如果您问我为什么我宁愿选择一块腐肉而不是三千块钱,我无言以对,我只能说我愿意这样——您满意我的回答吗?假如我的房间里有老鼠,我高兴出一万块钱把它们斩尽杀绝,那又怎么样?怎么,您明白我的意思了吗?我就这样和您说吧,为什么有人忍受不了一只烤乳猪,或者一只无辜且有益处的猫,为什么有的人听到风笛声就情不自禁地露出丑相,所有这些癖好都没有合适的理由,所以我也给不出理由,也不愿意寻任何借口,我
仅仅是处于对安东尼奥的宿怨和反感,才提出对他的诉讼,这样回答可以吗?
Bassanio: This is no answer, thou unfeeling man, to excuse the cur-rent of thy cruelty.
巴萨尼奥:这个回答不行。你这个冷酷无情的人,这也不能让人谅解你的残忍作为!
Shylock: I am not bound to please thee with my answer.
夏洛克:我的回答本来也不是为了讨好你。
Bassanio: Do all men kill the things they do not love?
巴萨尼奥:难道人们对于他们所不喜欢的东西,都一定要置之死地吗?
Shylock: Hates any man the thing he would not kill?
夏洛克:恨一个人难道就不能灭掉他吗?
Bassanio: Every offence is not a hate at first.
巴萨尼奥:初次的冒犯,不应该就引为仇恨吧。
Shylock: What! wouldst thou have a serpent sting thee twice?
夏洛克:什么!你愿意让毒蛇咬两次吗?
Antonio: I pray you, think you question with the Jew: you may aswell go stand upon the beach, and bid the main flood bate his usualheight; you may as well use question with the
wolf why he hath made theewe bleat for the lamb; you may as well forbid the mountain pines to wagtheir high tops and to make no noise when they are fretten with the gustsof heaven; you may as well do anything most hard, as seek to soften that-than which what's harder? — his Jewish heart: therefore, I do beseechyou, make no more offers, use no farther means, but with all brief andplain conveniency, let me have judgment, and the Jew his will.
安东尼奥:请你记住,你是在和这个犹太人讲话,你和他讲道理,不如站在海滩上,请求海潮不要涨到平常的高度;不如质问豺狼,为什么惹得母羊因失去羔羊而啼哭;你做任何事,都比求那犹太人的心变软要简单,所以我请你不要再白费力气,就让我痛痛快快地接受裁决,任那犹太人如愿以偿吧!
Bassanio: For thy three thousand ducats here is six.
版权声明:本站内容均来自互联网,仅供演示用,请勿用于商业和其他非法用途。如果侵犯了您的权益请与我们联系QQ:729038198,我们将在24小时内删除。
发表评论