職場社交英語每日一句
她整个人热力四射
Conversation
Elvin:  She is, like, mega-intense, isn't she?
艾文: 她整个人热力四射,对吧?
Mary:  Ha, she is unstoppable. I'm learning so much from her.
玛莉: 没有事情能挡得住她。我跟她学了好多。
Elvin:  What's it like to work with her?
艾文: 跟她共事是啥感觉?
Mary:  She's demanding. But I like that. I mean, I know our timeline is tight.
玛莉: 她的要求很高。但我喜欢那样。我是说,我知道我们的时间很紧。
Elvin:  Tell me about it.
艾文:  这还用说。
Mary:  You guys are working around the clock, I know. That guy Dave next to Zina never leaves.
玛莉:  我知道你们都在二十四小时赶工。那个坐在吉娜隔壁叫戴夫的人从没离开过。
Elvin:  Vince wants us to have everything  debugged and ready to go by the end of the month.
艾文:  文斯要我们把程序错误全部修正,准备在月底前上线。
【语言详解】
A: Your mother is so demanding! 你妈妈的要求真高!
B: That's what my dad always says. 我爸爸也总是这么说。
around the clock 日以继夜】
由clock 组成的成语除了around the clock 之外,另有一个against the clock“赶时间”。
A: Frank, why does your factory have to work around the clock this month?
    佛兰克,为什么你们工厂这个月要日以继夜地赶货?
B: Well, we have got quite a lot of orders for shipment this quarter.
    我们最近收到相当多订单,都要这一季出货。
A: In other words, you are all working against the clock now.
    换句话说,你们现在全都在赶时间。
B: You're right.
    你说对了。
【注解】
mega-intense  intense是指“紧张的、一触即发的”,字首(prefix) mega是“非常,相当多”的意思,亦指 “百万的”,如  megabyte“百万位元组”。
demanding (a.) 要求很高的
debug (v.) (电脑)除虫,指修正电脑程序中的错误。

職場社交英語每日一句
我就不拐弯抹角了
Conversation
Zina :  We're both busy, so I'm not going to beat around the bush. I need a raise
吉娜: 文斯。大家都很忙,我就不拐弯抹角了。我要加薪。
Vince:  I can't do that, Zina. You know I can't.
文斯: 办不到,吉娜。你知道我无能为力的。
Zina:  Bull. I've done my research. I know you still control more than 65 percent of InfoKing options.
吉娜: 胡扯。我做了研究。我知道你仍掌握了“资讯王”百分之六十五以上的股权。
Vince:  Who told you that?
文斯: 誰跟你说的?
Zina:  That doesn't matter. I want at least 4 percent.
吉娜: 那不重要。我少说要百分之四。
【语言详解】
A: I have done extensive research on the French Revolution.
    我对法国大革命做过广泛的研究。
conversation意思B: Then you must have been to Paris.
    那你一定去过巴黎。
beat around the bush拐弯抹角】
beat around the bush原意是指猎人在打猎时,先在草丛附近拍打,以让鸟类猎物受惊而现出踪迹,引申出藉由迂回的方式,不针对问题回答,犹如中文里的“拐弯抹角”:
A: Stop beating around the bush, and tell me what you want.
    别拐弯抹角,告诉我你要什么。
B: I want a divorce.
    我要离婚。
A: What did Tom want to tell you?
    汤姆那时想要跟你说什么?
B: I'm not sure. He kept beating around the bush.
    我不确定。他一直在拐弯抹角。
【注解】
raise  (n.) 加薪
bull  原意是“公牛”,这里是用作 bullshit 委婉说法。
research  (n.) 研究
control  (v.) 控制
option (n.) 选择,此指“股票选择权”
at least  至少,起码

職場社交英語每日一句
我们会熬过去的
Conversation
Zina:  Talk about distractions. Vince wants to see us all again this afternoon.
吉娜: 说到分心。文斯今天下午又要召见大家了。
Dave:  Another pep talk?  That'll make three this week.
戴夫: 又要来精神讲话吗?那就会是这个星期的第三次了。
Zina:  He's worried that our team is going to tire out and that WebTracker is going to beat us.
吉娜: 他担心我们团队会气力放尽,而“网路搜寻家”会打败我们。
Dave:  I don't blame him. People are starting to grumble about working twenty-four seven.
戴夫: 我不怪他。大家都在抱怨日夜无休地上班。
Zina:  They need to suck it up. We're going to pull this off. I'll make sure of that.
吉娜: 他们得要含辛茹苦。我们会熬过去的。我一定会确保战果。
【语言详解】
A: You always blame me for everything!
    你总把每件事都怪在我头上!
B: That's because it's your fault!
    因为那是你的错!
That'll make three times this week. 那就会是这星期的第三次了。】
make在这里的意思是“加总起来”,可以用来表达沮丧或是失望的负面情绪:
A: The computer has crashed again.
    电脑又死机了。
B: That makes the fifth time tonight.
    这是今晚第五次了。
pull something off 完成难题】
pull something off 可以用来表示“完成一份艰难的工作”。
A:  This project has to be finished next week.
    这个企划案在下星期之前得要完成。
B:  If we pull this off, we'll all get promotions.
    若我们闯过这一关,我们就升官了。
【注解】
pep talk  精神讲话。用以提振士气,凝聚共识的谈话。
tire out  精疲力竭
blame  (v.) 责怪
grumble (v.) 抱怨
twenty-four seven  意指“一周七天,一天二十四小时”。

職場社交英語每日一句
哇!真有一套!
Conversation
Elvin:  How did it go in LA?
艾文: 去洛城那一趟有进展吗?
Mary:  We signed up Stars, and we also got the Magic Studios web site.
玛莉: 我们签下了Stars,也拿下了“魔奇坊”的网站。
Elvin:  Wow! That's good news. Way to go!
艾文:  哇!那是好消息。真有一套!
Mary:  I didn't do anything.
玛莉: 我啥也没做。
Elvin:  What are you talking about? Those two accounts are huge!
艾文: 你在说什么?那两个都是天大的客户!
Mary:  Zina made me stay in the hotel. Said I had a loser's attitude.
玛莉: 吉娜要我留在旅馆里。说什么我有输家的态度
【语言详解】
A: I hate doing homework.
  我恨死了做家庭作业。
B: You have a bad attitude.
  你这种态度不好喔。
Way to go! 有一套喔!】

版权声明:本站内容均来自互联网,仅供演示用,请勿用于商业和其他非法用途。如果侵犯了您的权益请与我们联系QQ:729038198,我们将在24小时内删除。