爱在日落黄昏时Before Sunset
《此时》读者见会作者杰西·华莱
你认为这本书算自传式的吗?Do you consider the book to be autobiographical?
这个Well,I mean
什么书不是自传式的呢?isn't everything autobiographical?
我们都是通过自己那小小的钥匙孔看外
面的世界,对吧?
I mean,we all see the world through our own tiny keyhole,right?我是说,我总想起汤玛斯·沃尔夫说的I mean,I always think of Thomas Wolfe.
你看过《天使望故乡》那本书前面那短短一页的“致读者”吗?Have you ever seen that little one-page"Note to Reader"in the front of Look Homeward,Angel?
你知道我在说什么吧?Well,you know what I'm talking about?
总之,他说我们的生命就是由点点滴滴
集合而成的
Anyway,he says that we are the sum of all the moments of our lives
而任何人坐下来,写出来的都不过是自己生命中的体验and that anybody who sits down to write will use the clay of their own life
谁都无法回避that you can't avoid that.
所以当我审视我的人生,我必须得承认,我发现So when I look at my own life,you know I have to admit,right,that I
我从来没有经历过林弹雨或是暴力事件,起码没真正体验过I've never been around a bunch of guns or violence,you know,not really.
没有什么政治阴谋,也没什么直升机失
No political intrigue or a helicopter crash,right?
但是我的人生,从我个人观点来看仍然是富有戏剧性的But my life,from my own point of view,has been full of drama, right?
于是我想也许我也能写本书And so I thought,if I could write a book
记录下我见到某人时的感觉that could capture what it's like to really meet somebody 我是说,我经历过的最刺激的事情之一One of the most exciting things that's happened to me
就是真正和某人见面,让两个人心灵相
is to meet somebody,make that connection.
而如果我能把它表现出来你明白吗,抓
住那一刻的感觉
And if I could make that valuable,you know,to capture that 那就是我的写作意图了,亦或者that would be the attempt,or.
你满意我的回答吗?Did I answer your question?
我干脆就直说吧I'll try to be more specific.
我在火车上遇见一个年轻的法国女郎Was there ever a French young woman on a train you met
并和她共度良宵and spent an evening with?
这个,对我来说我是说See,to me,that.I mean
-这并不重要,你懂吗?-就是说的确
有了?
-that's not important,you know?-So that's a yes?
好吧,既然我人在法国,这又是我签名售书的最后一站,那就算有吧All right,since I'm in France and this is the last stop of my book tour,yes.
谢谢Thank you.
华莱士先生,这本书的结尾给我们留下
了悬念
Mr.Wallace,the book ends on an ambiguous note.我们不知道We don't know.
你认为他们六个月之后会重聚吗?Do you think they get back together in six months 就像他们彼此承诺的那样?Like they promise each other?
像他们保证的?Like they promised?
我认为这个问题实际上是,是个I think how you answer that,you know,is.
是个很好的测试,看看你到底是喜欢浪
漫还是对它嗤之以鼻
It's a good test,right,if you're a romantic or a cynic.我是说,你认为他们会重聚的,对吧?Right?I mean,you think they get back together,right? -显然你并不这么认为-是的-You don't,for sure.-No.
还是你希望他们会,不过你无法肯定And you hope they do,but you're not sure.
-所以你才问这个问题-你认为他们会重聚吗?-That's why you're asking the question.-Do you think they get back together?
我是说你们重聚了吗?在现实生活中?I mean,did you in real life?
现实生活中?Did I in real?
要用我祖父的话来说啊Look,in the words of my grandfather,okay:
天晓得会不会"To answer that would take the piss out of the whole thing."我们的时间只够问最后一个问题了We just have the time for one last question.
你下一本书将是什么?What is your next book?
我不知道,老兄,我真的不知道I don't know,man.I don't know.
我一直一直在考虑这个构思I've beenI've been thinking about this.
我总是想写本书Well,I always kind of wanted to write a book
一切都发生在一首流行歌曲那么长时间
that all took place within the space of a pop song.
总共大概三到四分钟吧Like three or four minutes long,the whole thing.
整个故事大概是说有个男人The story,the idea,is that there's this guy,right
他非常的沮丧,因为and he's totally depressed.
他最大的梦想就是拥有一段轰轰烈烈的
爱情,一次冒险
His great dream was to be a lover,an adventurer,you know
比如开着摩托周游南美riding motorcycles through South America.
但是事实上他只是坐在大理石桌前吃着
龙虾
And instead he's sitting at a marble table eating lobster.
他有份不错的工作,妻子也很漂亮He's got a good job and a beautiful wife,right,but that
他应有尽有,但是这并不是他真正想要
Everything that he needs.But that doesn't matter
因为他真正想要的是为某种理想而战because what he wants is to fight for meaning.
你明白吗,快乐来自于过程You know?Happiness is in the doing,right?
而不是因为你得到了你想要的东西Not in the getting what you want.
总之,他坐在那里,突然间So he's sitting there,and just that second
他五岁的小女儿跳上了桌子his little5-year-old daughter hops up on the table.
他知道她该下来,因为她可能会受伤And he knows that she should get down,because she could get hurt.但是她正穿着夏日的裙子随着那首歌翩
翩起舞
But she's dancing to this pop song in a summer dress.
然后一晃眼And he looks downcrash是什么意思
突然间,他回到了十六岁and all of a sudden,he's16.
他的高中女友正送他回家And his high-school sweetheart is dropping him off at home.
而他们刚刚度过了他们的初夜,她很爱
And they just lost their virginity,and she loves him
而汽车收音机里里播放着的是同样的一
首曲子
and the same song is playing on the car radio.
然后她爬上了车顶,开始在那里跳舞And she climbs up and starts dancing on the roof of the car.这一下,他开始很担心她!And now he's worried about her.
她很美,表情也竟然和她女儿一模一样And she's beautiful,with a facial expression just like his
daughter's.
事实上,这可能就是他为什么会喜欢她
In fact,maybe that's why he even likes her.
的原因
你懂吗,他知道他并不是身处回忆之中You see,he knows he's not remembering this dance
he's there.He's there,in both moments,simultaneously.
而是他就在那里,他同时出现在人生的
两个场景之中
And just for an instant,all his life is just folding in on itself.就在这一瞬间,他全部的人生好像都交
汇到了一起
对他来说,时间明显是个谎言And it's obvious to him that time is a lie.
因为那一刻将一直延伸下去That it's all happening all the time
而且每个时刻之内都包含着另一个时刻and inside every moment is another moment
一切的一切,都发生在同一瞬间all happening simultaneously.
总之,这就是我大概的想法,总之Anyway,that's kind of the idea.Anyway.
我们的作者很快就得去机场了Our author has to be going to the airport soon
那么,谢谢各位今天下午光临so thank you all very much for coming over this afternoon.
And a special thanks to Mr.Wallace for being with us.
尤其要感谢华莱士先生和我们共度了这
么美好的一个下午
谢谢,谢谢Thank you.Thank you.
We hope to see you here again with your next book.
希望你出下本书的时候我们还能在这见
到你!
[法语]感谢大家光临Merci a toutes et a tous qu'etre venus.
Comme vous voyez y a du champagne,y a des petites choses a gagnoter, [法语]我们为大家准备了香槟和一些小
点心
[法语]请尽情享受吧donc servez vous.
谢谢各位,我必须在几点之前去机场?Thank you all.How much longer before I have to go to the airport?哦,你必须在七点半之前离开?Oh,you should leave at7:30
-最迟七点半!-好-Seven-thirty at the very latest.-Okay.
-嗨-你好-Hi.-Hello.
-你还好吗?-很好,你呢?-How are you?-Good,and you?
挺好,是的,我很好,我I'm good,yeah,I'm great.I'm.
你愿意我是说去喝杯咖啡什么的吗?Do you wanna,maybe,get a cup of coffee?
他不是说你要赶飞机吗?Didn't he just say you have a plane to catch?
是啊不过时间还早Yeah.But,I mean,I have a little time.
-那好吧-好吗?好,那,让我-Okay.-Yeah?All right,well,let me.
我在外面等你I'll meet you outside.Okay.
我出去一下,喝杯咖啡Excuse me.I'm just gonna go get a cup of coffee.
-I'll be back at7:15.-Did you sign all these?
-
我七点一刻回来-这些书你都签了
名吗?
-Yeah,I sure did.-Get your driver Philippe's card
-是的,我肯定签了-拿着你的司机
菲利普的名片
这样你要是晚了,就用手机给他打电话so you can call his cell if you're running late.
We'll put your bags in the car so you're not late.
我们会把你的包放在车里,这样你就不
会晚了
-好的,谢谢你-[法语]非常感谢-All right,thanks for everything.-Thank you.
谁是菲利普?Which one's Philippe?
[法语]菲利普,把你的名片给他,上面
Philippe,passe lui ta carte pour qu'il forme ta numero portable.有你的手机号码
[法语]谢谢Merci.
-真难以置信你会在这里-我就住在
-I can't believe you're here.-I live here in Paris.
巴黎
你真的不用多呆几天吗?你不用再和谁谈什么了吗?Are you sure you don't have to stay?You're not supposed to talk more?
不,他们都开始烦我了,我昨晚整夜都
在这里
They're sick of me.I spent the night here.
-哦,真的吗?-是啊,他们楼上有间
阁楼
-You did?-Yeah,they got a loft upstairs.
-你怎么样?这感觉真奇怪-我很好-How are you?This is so weird.-I'm fine.
-见到你真高兴!-见到你真高兴!-It's good to see you.-It's good to see you.
-那你想去喝杯咖啡吗?-哦,当然-So you want to go to a cafe?-Yeah.
那好,那边不远有一家很不错Okay.There's one a little further that I like.
我刚才见到你的时候我都快傻了I thought I was gonna totally lose it in there when I first saw
you.
你怎么会知道我会来这的呢?How did you know I was gonna be here?
这是我在巴黎最喜欢的书店了,你可以坐在那里看一天书It's my favorite bookstore in Paris.You can sit down for hours and read.
我很喜欢这样,那儿是有跳蚤,不过,
你知道的
I love it.There's fleas,but,you know.
我知道,我简直感觉昨晚有只猫睡在我
头上
I know.I think a cat slept on my head last night.
我一个月前就书店日历上看到你的照片I saw your picture on the calendar about a month ago
知道你会来这里and that you were going to be here.
有意思的是,我读了你的书,一小段而
It's funny,because I read an article on your book
-我有种朦朦胧胧的的亲切感-朦朦
胧胧?是吗?
-and it sounded vaguely familiar.-Vaguely?Yeah.
是的,只不过是在见到你的照片之后才
有的,所以
But I didn't put it all together until I saw your photo.So.你看过那书了吗?Did you have a chance to read it?
是的,我Yes,I.
你的书让我感到惊喜,你应该体会得到
I was really,really surprised,as you can imagine.
我是说,我对它爱不释手I mean,I had to read it twice,actually.
-是吗?-是的-Yeah?-Yeah.
[法语]写得马马虎虎?Comme ci comme ca?
不,我很喜欢,非常浪漫!No,I liked it.It's very romantic.
我平时不爱看类似的书,但是你写的真
I usually don't like that,but it's really well-written.
-写的非常好,祝贺你!-好吧,谢谢-It's well-written.Congratulations.-All right.Thank you. -等等-怎么啦?-Wait.-What?
在我们出发前,我得问你Before we go anywhere,I have to ask you.
没问题,什么事?Sure.What?
那年十二月,你去维也纳了吗?Did you show up in Vienna that December?
-呃,你去了吗?-没有,我没能去成,
但是你去了吗?
-Did you?-No,I couldn't.But did you?
-我必须要知道,这对我很重要!-为
什么,既然你都没去?
-I need to know.It's important to me.-Why,if you didn't?那,你去了吗?Well,did you?
没有No.
哦,谢天谢地你没去!Thank God you didn't.
-哦,天啊-谢天谢地你没去-Oh,my God.-Thank God you didn't.
我是说,幸亏我没去,你也没去,要是
我们两个只有一个人去了
Thank God I didn't and you didn't.If one of us had showed up alone
-那简直是糟透了-我知道,我知道,
我一直担心这个
-that would have sucked.-I was so concerned.
我一直因为没去而内疚,但是我确实没法!我祖母那之前几天过世了I felt horrible about not being there,but I couldn't.My grandma died
那天是她下葬的日子,十二月十六日and she was buried that day,December16th.
-她过世了?就是布达佩斯的那一位?
-是的,你还记得?
-The one in Budapest?-Yes.You remember that?
-当然,我什么都记得-噢,对了,
你书中还提到了
-I remember everything.-Of course,it was in your book.总之,我的确想过去维也纳的But anyway,I was about to fly to Vienna,you know
但是噩耗突然传来,我只能去参加葬礼了and we heard the news about her,and of course I had to go to the funeral.
是啊,听到这个真让人难过Yeah,I'm sorry to hear that.
我知道,反正你也没去I know.But you weren't there anyway.
等等,你为什么没去?Wait.Why weren't you there?
我要是能去的话一定会去的,我定了计
划,而且我
I would have been there if I could have.I made plans.
你最好能到个好一点的理由!You better have a good reason.
怎么了?What?
哦,不!Oh,no.
你去那了,是吗?No,you were there,weren't you?
哦,不,真糟糕!Oh,no,that's terrible!
我知道,我笑了,不过我不是有意的!I'm laughing,but I don't mean it.
你当时生我气了吧,一定是的Did you hate me?You must've hated me.
-你一直都在生我的气吧?一定是的-
没有
-Have you been hating me all this time?You have.-No.
-有,你生我气了-没有-Yes,you have.-No.
但你现在不生气了,对吧?But you can't hate me now,right?
-我是说,我祖母-我没生你的气,
又不是什么大事
-I mean,my grandma-I don't hate you.It's no big deal.我大老远飞过去,你却放我的鸽子I flew all the way over there,you blew the thing off.
于是我的人生自此一蹶不振,不过,这
又算什么呢
My life's been a big nosedive since,but it's not a problem.
-我只是开玩笑,开玩笑-别这么说,
我真无法相信
-No,I'm kidding.-Don't say that.I can't believe it.
我一定是把你气疯了,我真抱歉You must have been so angry with me.I'm so sorry.
我真的很想去的,没什么比这个更重要
了!
I really wanted to be there,more than anything in the world.
-不开玩笑了,我发誓-你不能生气
啊,我祖母
-Honestly,I swear-You can't be angry,my grandmother
我懂,我真的想到了,你大概就是被这种事情缠住了I know.I honestly thought that something like that might have happened.
我确实是非常失望,不过I was definitely bummed,but.
我感到最遗憾的还是因为我们没有交换电话号码,或者任何其他个人信息Mostly I was mad we hadn't exchanged any phone numbers or any information.
瞧瞧我们干的傻事,没法彼此联系That was so stupid.No way to get in touch.

版权声明:本站内容均来自互联网,仅供演示用,请勿用于商业和其他非法用途。如果侵犯了您的权益请与我们联系QQ:729038198,我们将在24小时内删除。