Unit 6
一、课文
The small boy's illness seemed not too serious. Yet he was clearly very worried about something. Whatever was it?
小男孩的病似乎并不太重。但他显然在为什么事忧心忡忡。究竟是什么事呢?
A Day's Wait Ernest Hemingway
He came into the room to shut the windows while we were still in bed and I saw he looked ill. He was shivering, his face was white, and he walked slowly as though it ached to move.
一天的等待
欧内斯特·海明威
    他走进我们房间关窗户的时候,我们还未起床。我见他一副病容,全身哆嗦,脸苍白,步履缓慢,好像一动就会引起疼痛。
"What's the matter, Schatz?"                “你怎么啦,宝贝?”
"I've got a headache."                      “我头痛。”
"You better go back to bed."                  “你最好回床上去睡。”
"No. I'm all right."                         “不,我没啥病。”
"You go to bed. I'll see you when I'm dressed."   “你先去睡。我穿好衣服来看你。”
But when I came downstairs he was dressed, sitting by the fire, looking a very sick and miserable boy of nine years. When I put my hand on his forehead I knew he had a fever.
可是当我来到楼下时,他已穿好衣服,坐在火炉旁。这个9岁的男孩,看上去病得厉害,一副可怜的模样。我用手摸了摸他的额头,知道他发烧了。
"You go up to bed," I said, "You're sick."       “你到楼上去睡,”我说,“你病了。”
"I'm all right," he said.                      “我没有病,”他说。
When the doctor came he took the boy's temperature.    医生来后,量了孩子的体温。
"What is it?" I asked him.                    “多少度?”我问医生。
"One hundred and two."                      “102度。”
Downstairs, the doctor left three different medicines in different colored capsules with instructions for giving them. One was to bring down the fever, another a purgative, the third to overcome an acid condition. The germs of influenza can only exist in an acid condition, he explained. He seemed to know all about influenza and said there was nothing to worry about if the fever did not go above one hundred and four degrees. This was a light epidemic of flu and there was no danger if you avoided pneumonia.
下楼后,医生留下用不同颜胶囊包装的三种药丸,并嘱咐如何服用。一种药退烧,另一种润肠、通便,还有一种是去酸。他解释说,流感细菌只能在酸性环境中生存。他似乎对流感很内行,并说,如果发烧不超过一百零四度,就用不着担心。这是轻度流感,只要当心不引起肺炎,就无危险。
Back in the room I wrote the boy's temperature down and made a note of the time to give the various capsules.
我回到房里,记下孩子的体温,并记下各种胶囊的服用时间。
"Do you want me to read to you?"    “要不要让我读点书给你听?”
"All right. If you want to," said the boy. His face was very white and there were dark areas under his eyes. He lay still in the bed and seemed very detached from what was going on.
“好的,如果你想读的话,”孩子说。他的脸十分苍白,眼窝下方有黑晕。他躺在床上一动不动,对周围发生的一切漠然置之。
I read aloud from Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates; but I could see he was not following what I was reading.
我朗读霍华德·派尔的《海盗故事》,但我看得出他并不在听。
"How do you feel, Schatz?" I asked him.        “你感觉怎么样,宝贝?”我问他。
"Just the same, so far," he said.                “到目前为止,还是老样子,”他说。
I sat at the foot of the bed and read to myself while I waited for it to be time to give another capsule. It would have been natural for him to go to sleep, but when I looked up he was looking at the foot of the bed, looking very strangely.
我坐在床的脚端自个儿看书,等着到时间再给他服一粒药丸。按理,他本该睡着了。然而,当我抬头看时,他却双眼盯着床的脚端,神情异常。
"Why don't you try to sleep? I'll wake you up for the medicine."
“你为什么不睡一会儿呢? 到吃药时,我会叫醒你的。”
"I'd rather stay awake."                      “我宁愿醒着。”
After a while he said to me, "You don't have to stay in here with me, Papa, if it bothers you."
过了一会儿,他对我说:“你不必呆在这里陪我,爸爸,要是这事令你烦恼的话。”
"It doesn't bother me."
“没有什么可烦恼的。”
"No, I mean you don't have to stay if it's going to bother you."
“不,我是说,要是这事终将给你带来烦恼的话,你就不必呆在这里。”
I thought perhaps he was a little lightheaded and after giving him the prescribed capsules at eleven o'clock I went out for a while. It was a bright, cold day, the ground covered with a sleet that had frozen so that it seemed as if all the bare trees, the bushes, the cut brush and all the grass and the bare ground had been varnished with ice, I took the young Irish setter for a walk up the road and along a frozen creek, but it was difficult to stand or walk on the glassy surface and the red dog slipped and slithered and I fell twice, hard, once dropping my gun and having it slide away over the ice.
37度算发烧吗
我想,或许他有点儿神志不清了。十一点钟,照规定给他服药后,我便出去了一会儿。那是个晴朗而又寒冷的日子,地上覆盖着一层已结成冰的冻雨,就像那光秃秃的树木,那灌木丛,那砍下的树枝,以及所有的草坪和空地都用冰漆过似的。我带着我那条幼小的爱尔兰猎
犬,沿着大路和一条冰冻的小溪散步。但在这玻璃般平滑的地面上站立和行走是很困难的。红毛狗一路上连跌带滑,我自己也摔倒了两次,都是挺重的。一次猎也摔丢了,在冰上滑出去老远。
We flushed a covey of quail under a high clay bank with overhanging brush and I killed two as they went out of sight over the top of the bank. Some of the covey lit in trees, but most of them scattered into brush piles and it was necessary to jump on the ice-coated mounds of brush several times before they would flush. Coming out while you were poised unsteadily on the icy, springy brush they made difficult shooting and I killed two, missed five, and started back pleased to have found a covey close to the house and happy there were so many left to find on another day.
高高的土堤上长着倒垂下来的灌木丛,我们从那下面撵起了一鹌鹑。当它们快要从堤岸上消失时,我击落了两只。有几只鹌鹑停落在树上,但大部分飞散了,钻进了灌木丛。你得在这些被冰裹着的树丛上跳上好几下,才能把它们惊起。当你在这些既滑又有弹性的树丛上摇摇晃晃尚未立稳之际,它们却飞了出来,使你很难射中。我击落了两只,却让它们逃掉了五
只。动身返回时,我感到很高兴,因为我在离家不远的地方发现了一鹌鹑,而且还剩下许多,改日可再去搜寻猎取。

版权声明:本站内容均来自互联网,仅供演示用,请勿用于商业和其他非法用途。如果侵犯了您的权益请与我们联系QQ:729038198,我们将在24小时内删除。