Reading and Thinking
THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE
百万英镑
ACT 1, SCENE 3
第一幕,第3场
Narrator: Two rich brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet. Oliver believes that with a million-pound bank note a man could live a month in London. His brother Roderick doubts it. They see a poor young man walking outside their house. It is Henry Adams.
旁白:1903年的夏天。一对富有的兄弟,罗德里克和奥利弗,打了一个赌。奥利弗认为,一个人靠一张百万英镑的钞票在伦敦能活一个月。他的兄弟罗德里克对此表示怀疑。他们看见一个贫穷的年轻人在房子的外面游荡。他叫亨利·亚当斯。
Roderick: Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?
罗德里克:年轻人,请你进来一会儿,好吗?
Henry: Who? Me, sir?
亨利:先生,你叫谁呀?是叫我吗?
Roderick: Yes, you.
罗德里克:是的,就是你。
Servant: (opening a door) Good morning, sir. Would you please come in?
仆人:(打开门)早上好,先生,请进。
(Henry enters the house)
(亨利走进房子)
Roderick: How do you do, Mr ... er ...?
罗德里克:你好,先生,你贵姓?
Henry: Adams. Henry Adams.
亨利:亚当斯,亨利·亚当斯。
Oliver: Come and sit down, Mr Adams.
奥利弗:来,请坐,亚当斯先生。
Henry: Thank you.
亨利:谢谢。
Roderick: You’re an American?
罗德里克:你是美国人?
Henry: That’s right, from San Francisco.
亨利:是的,从旧金山来。
Roderick: May we ask what you’re doing in this country and what your plans are?
罗德里克:可不可以问问,你在这个国家要干点儿什么?你的计划又是什么呢?
Henry: Well, I can’t say that I have any plans. As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.
亨利:嗯,谈不上有什么计划。事实上,我在英国上岸是偶然的。
Oliver: How is that possible?
奥利弗:这怎么可能呢?
Henry: Well, I had my own boat. About a month ago, I was sailing, and towards night
I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind. The next morning I was spotted by
a ship.
亨利:嗯,我有自己的船。大约一个月前,我开着船,晚上的时候我发现我被一阵大风刮到海上去了。第二天早上,一艘船发现了我。
Oliver: And it was the ship that brought you to England.
罗德里克:正是那艘船把你带到了英国。
Henry: Yes. I went to the American consulate to seek help, but ... Anyway, I didn’t dare to try again. (The brothers smile at each other.)
亨利:是的。我上美国大使馆求助,但是……不管怎样,我不敢再去尝试了。(兄弟俩相顾而笑)
Roderick: Well, you mustn’t worry about that. It’s an advantage.sort of中文翻译
罗德里克:嗯,这一点你倒不必担心,这还是优点呢。
Henry: I’m afraid I don’t quite follow you, sir.
亨利:对不起,先生,你的话我没有听懂。
Roderick: Tell us, what sort of work did you do in America?
奥利弗:请你告诉我们,你在美国是做什么工作的?
Henry: I worked for a mining company. Could you offer me work here?
亨利:我在一家矿业公司工作。你们能不能给我提供工作呢?
Roderick: Patience. If you don’t mind, may I ask you how much money you have?
罗德里克:耐心点儿。如果你不介意,我能不能问问,你手头儿有多少钱?
Henry: Well, to be honest, I have none.
亨利:嗯,老实说,我一分钱都没有了。
Oliver: (happily) What luck! Brother, what luck!
奥利弗:(高兴地)老兄,真走运!真有运气!
Henry: Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me! If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don’t think it’s very funny. Now if you’ll excuse me, I ought to be on my way.
亨利:嗯,这对你们来说可能是运气,但对我来说可不是。如果你们认为这是一个笑话,我可不觉得很好笑。好了,请原谅,我想我该上路了。
Roderick: Please don’t go. You mustn’t think we don’t care about you. Oliver, give him the letter.
罗德里克:请别走。你千万不要以为我们不在意你的感受。奥利弗,把信给他。
Oliver: Yes, I was about to go get the letter. Wait! (getting it from a desk and giving it to Henry) The lett
er.
奥利弗:好的,我正想去拿信呢。稍等一下!(从桌上把信拿起来,递给亨利)给你信。
Henry: (taking it carefully) For me?
亨利:(小心翼翼地接过信)是给我的吗?
Roderick: For you. (Henry starts to open it) Oh, no, you’d better not open it. You can’t open it until two o’clock.
罗德里克:是给你的。(亨利要拆信)啊,别拆,你不要拆,到两点钟你才能打开。
Henry: Oh, this is silly.
亨利:噢,这真可笑。
Roderick: Not silly. There’s money in it.
罗德里克:这不可笑,这里边有钱呢。

版权声明:本站内容均来自互联网,仅供演示用,请勿用于商业和其他非法用途。如果侵犯了您的权益请与我们联系QQ:729038198,我们将在24小时内删除。