Unit 3 THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE百万英镑
Act I, Scene 3第一幕,第三场
NARRATOR: 旁白:
It is the summer of 1903. Two old and wealthy brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet. 1903年的夏天,一对老年又富有的兄弟,罗德里克和奥利弗,打了一个赌。
Oliver believes that with a million pound bank note a man could survive a month in London. 奥利弗认为,一个人靠一张百万英镑的钞票在伦敦能活一个月。
His brother Roderick doubts it. 他的兄弟罗德里克对此表示怀疑。
At this moment, they see a penniless young man wandering on the pavement outside their house. 这时,他们看见一个身无分文的年轻人在房子外面的人行道上游荡。
It is Henry Adams, an American businessman, who is lost in London and does not know what he should do.
他叫亨利·亚当斯,一个美国商人,在伦敦迷了路,不知道该怎么办。
RODERICK:Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?
罗德里克:年轻人,请你进来一会儿,好吗?
HENRY: Who? Me, sir?
亨利:先生,你叫谁啊?是叫我吗?
RODERICK:Yes, you.
罗德里克:是的,就是你。
OLIVER: Through the front door on your left.
奥利弗:从你左侧的前门进来。
HENRY: (A servant opens a door) Thanks.
亨利:(仆人给他打开门)谢谢。
SERVANT: Good morning, sir. Would you please  come in? Permit me to lead the way, sir.
仆人:早上好,先生,请进。先生,请让我来带路吧。
OLIVER: (Henry enters) Thank you, James. That will be all.
奥利弗:(亨利走进来)谢谢你,詹姆斯,没你的事了。
RODERICK: How do you do, Mr. ... er ...?
罗德里克:你好,先生,你贵姓?
HENRY:Adams. Henry Adams.
亨利:亚当斯,亨利·.亚当斯
OLIVER: Come and sit down, Mr. Adams.
奥利弗:来,请坐,亚当斯先生。
HENRY:  Thank you.
亨利:谢谢
RODERICK: You're an American?
罗德里克:你是美国人?
HENRY:  That's right, from San Francisco.
亨利:是的,从旧金山来。
RODERICK: How well do you know London?
罗德里克:你对伦敦熟悉吗?
HENRY:  Not at all, it's my first trip here.
亨利:一点也不熟悉,这是我第一次来伦敦。
RODERICK:I wonder, Mr. Adams, if you'd mind us asking a few questions.
罗德里克:亚当斯先生,不知道你是否介意我们问几个问题?
HENRY: Not at all. Go right ahead.
亨利:不介意,请问吧。
RODERICK:May we ask what you're doing in this country and what your plans are?
罗德里克:可不可以问问,你在这个国家要干点儿什么?你的计划又是什么呢?
HENRY: Well, I can't say that I have any plans. I'm hoping to find work. As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.
亨利:嗯,谈不上有什么计划,我希望能到工作。事实上,我在英国上岸是偶然的。
OLIVER:How is that possible?
奥利弗:这怎么可能呢?
HENRY: Well, you see, back home I had my own boat. About a month ago, I was sailing out of the bay ... (his eyes stare at what is left of the brother's dinner on table)
亨利:嗯,你看,在美国的时候,我有自己的船。大约一个月前,我开船驶出了海湾……(他的眼睛盯着两兄弟俩留在餐桌上的残羹剩菜)
OLIVER:Well, go on.
奥利弗:往下说啊。
HENRY: Oh, yes. Well, towards nightfall I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind. It was all my fault. I didn't know whether I could survive until morning. The next morning I'd just about given myself up for lost when I was spotted by a ship.
亨利:哦,好的。嗯,傍晚时分我发现我被一阵大风刮到海上去了。这都是我的错。我不知道是否能活到早晨。第二天早上,我正感到绝望的时候,一艘海船发现了我。
OLIVER:And it was the ship that brought you to England.
奥利弗:正是那艘船把你带到了英国。
HENRY: Yes. The fact is that I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand, which ac
counts for my appearance. I went to the American embassy to seek help, but ... (The brothers smile at each other.)
亨利:是的。事实上我靠做义工来顶替船费,这就是我为什么衣冠不整的原因了。我上美国大使馆求助,但是……(兄弟两相顾而笑)
RODERICK:  Well, you mustn't worry about that. It's an advantage.
罗德里克:嗯,这一点你倒不必担心,这还是优点呢。
HENRY: I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, sir.
亨利:对不起,先生,你的话我没有听懂。
RODERICK:  Tell us, Mr. Adams, what sort of work did you do in America?
罗德里克:亚当斯先生,请告诉我们,你在美国干哪个行当?
HENRY: I worked for a mining company. Could you offer me some kind of work here?
亨利:我在一家矿业公司工作。你们能不能给我提供一份工作呢?
RODERICK:  Patience, Mr. Adams. If you don't mind, may I ask you how much money you      have?
罗德里克:耐心点儿,亚当斯先生。如果你不介意,我能不能问问,你手头儿有多少钱?
HENRY: Well, to be honest, I have none.
亨利:嗯,老实说,我一分钱都没有了。
OLIVER:(happily) What luck! Brother, what luck! (claps his hands together)
sort of house翻译奥利弗:(高兴地)老兄,真走运!真有运气!(鼓起掌来)
HENRY: Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me! On the contrary, in fact. If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don't think it's very funny. (Henry stands up to leave) Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll be on my way.
亨利:嗯,这对你们来说可能是运气,但对我来说可不是。事实上,正好相反。如果你们认为这是一个笑话,我可不觉得很好笑。(亨利起身准备走)好了,请原谅,我想我该上路了。
RODERICK:Please don't go, Mr. Adams~ You mustn't think we don't care about you. Oliver, give him the letter.
罗德里克:亚当斯先生,请别走。你千万不要以为我们不在意你的感受。奥利弗,把信给他。
OLIVER:Yes, the letter. (gets it from a desk and gives it to Henry like a gift) The letter.
奥利弗:是,拿信。(从座上把信拿起来,像送礼品一样递给亨利)给你信。
HENRY: (taking it carefully) For me?
亨利:(小心翼翼地接过信)是给我的吗?
RODERICK:For you. (Henry starts to open it) Oh, no, you mustn't open it. Not yet. You can'
t open it until two o'clock.

版权声明:本站内容均来自互联网,仅供演示用,请勿用于商业和其他非法用途。如果侵犯了您的权益请与我们联系QQ:729038198,我们将在24小时内删除。