Becuase believe or not,each one of us in this room is one day going to stop breathing,turn cold and die. I'd like you to step forward of you and peruse some of the faces from the past. They're not that different from you ,are they? Same haircuts. Full of hormones. Just like you. Invincible just like you fell. The world is their oyster. They belive they're destined for great things, just like many of you,their eyes are full of hope, just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to makefrom their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because,you see gentelman,these boys are now fertilising daffodils. But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on,lean in. Listen,you hear it ? hear it?...Carpe,carpe diem,seize the day,boys,make your lives extrordinary.
因为信不信由你,这个房间里的每个人,总有一天都要停止呼吸,僵冷,死亡.我要你们向前到这儿来,细细玩味过去的面孔,你们经过这儿无数次,但从未真正看过他们,和你的差异并不大,对吧?同样的发型,和你们一样精力旺盛,和你们一样不可一世,世界都在他们的掌握之中,他们认为注定要成就大事,和大多数的你们一样,他们的双眼充满了希望,和你们一样.他们是否虚度时光,到最后一无所成?因为各位所见到的......这些男孩现在都已化为尘土了,如果你们仔细倾听,便能听见他们在低声耳语,附耳过去,仔细听,听见了?听见了吗? CARPE DIEM 及时行乐,孩子们,让你的生命超越凡俗.
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may/Old time is still a-flying/And this same flowers that smiles today/Tomorr
ow will be dying.
及时采撷你的花蕾/旧时光一去不回/今天尚在微笑的花朵/明天变得风中枯萎(丁尼生《劝少年们珍惜时光》)
Carpe diem. Seize the day,boys. Make your lives extraordinary.
人生就应该是快乐的,要抓住每一天,孩子们。让你们的生活变得非凡起来。
To fully understand poetry, we must first be fluent with its meter, rhyme and figures of speech, then ask two questions: 1) How artfully has the objective of the poem been rendered and 2) How important is that objective?
要完全理解诗歌,我们首先必须了解它的格调、韵律、修辞手法,然后提两个问题:第一,诗主题如何艺术地实现;第二,诗主题的重要性。第一个总是解决的是诗歌的艺术性。第二个问题回答的是诗歌的重要性。(《英语诗歌五百年》序言)
We're not laying pipe. 我们不是在接水管。
Learn to think for yourselves again.
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.
学会自己思考,学会欣赏文学和语言。
不管别人怎么说,文学和语言的确能改变世界。
We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry be
cause we are members of the human race.
And the human race is filled with passion.
And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life.
But poetry, beauty,romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.
我们读诗写诗,非为它的灵巧.我们读诗写诗,因为我们是人类的一员.而人类充满了热情.
医药,法律,商业,工程,这些都是高贵的理想,并且是维生的必需条件.
但是诗,美,浪漫,爱,这些才是我们生存的原因.
Show me the heart unfettered by foolish dreams
And I’ll show you a happy man.
让我看到一颗因愚蠢的梦想而挣脱束缚的心
我就能让你看见一个快乐的人。
The Dead Poets was dedicated to "sucking the marrow out of life".
死亡诗人致力于吸取生命的精华。(梭罗)
We weren't a Greek organization. We were Romantics. We didn't just read poetry, we let it drip from our tongues like honey. Spirits soared, women swooned and gods were created.
我们是一浪漫主义者。我们不仅仅是念诗,诗从我们舌间滑落,就像蜜糖。情绪高涨,女人亢奋,灵魂驰骋。
I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately ...
I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life!
To put to rout all that was
And not when I came to die, discover that I had
我步入丛林 因为我希望活得有意义 ...
cold怎么读我希望活得深刻 汲取生命所有的精髓!
把非生命的一切全都击溃 ...
以免在我生命终结时,发现自己从来没有活过 ...
(Alfred Lord Tennyson)Come my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world for my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset. And though we are not now that strength which in old days Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;-- One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
来吧,我的朋友/寻更新世界尚为时不晚/我决心已定,要驶过夕阳尽头/尽管我们不再有昔日的伟力,可以震天撼地/我们仍有着,同样的英雄的心/时间和命运,使它衰老/但坚强意志仍在/让我们去奋斗,去探索,去发现/永不屈服 (丁尼生)
Then I had religion, then I had a vision. I could not turn from their revel in derision. Then I saw the Congo creeping through the black, cutting through the forest with a golden track.
然后我有了信仰/然后我有了想象/我被他们沉迷的嘲笑所感染/然后我看见刚果河/在黑土地上流过/在森林中划下一道金的沟壑 (语言的节奏感)
language was developed for one endeavor, and that is?
No,to woo women.
语言的目的只有一个:
学生:交流。老师:追求女人
Why do I stand here?
To feel taller than you?
I stand on my desk to remind m
yself that we must constantly force ourselves to look at things in a different way.
The world looks different from up here.
If you don't believe it, stand up here and try it.
All of you. Take turns.
我为何要站在这儿(讲台上)谁知道?
我站到讲台上是想提醒我自己,我们必须时刻用不同的眼光来看待事物.
Just when you think you know something,
you have to look at it in another way.
当你认为你知道某件事时
必须再以不同角度看它
Even though it may seem silly
or wrong, you must try!
即使那看来似乎愚笨或错误
你们都必须试试
Now, when you read, don't just consider
what the
当你阅读时
别只想到作者的见解
consider what you think. 想想你的见解
Boys, you must strive to find
your own voice.
孩子们,你们必须…
努力寻自己的声音
Because the longer you wait to begin,
the less likely you are
find it at all.
因为你等候起步的时间愈长
便愈不可能到它
Thoreau said, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.”
梭罗说“大多数人都生活在平静的绝望中”
Don't be resigned to that.
Break out!
别听任此事发生
要突破!
For me, sport is actually a chance for us to have other human beings push us to excel.
对我来说,运动只是一种让其他人把我们推向极致的机会。
Oh to struggle against great odds. To meet enemies undaunted.
与逆境不屈抗争,以无畏的气势面对敌人。
To be a sailor of the world, bound for all ports.
做一个世界的水手,游遍所有的港口。
Oh, I live to be the ruler of life, not a slave.
我要做生活的主宰,而不是奴隶。
To mount the scaffolds. To advance to the muzzle of guns with perfect nonchalance.
走上绞刑台,面对行刑的口,我息安之如泰。
To dance, clap hands, exalt, shout, skip, roll on, float on.
舞蹈、鼓掌、兴奋、欢叫、跳跃、飘飘荡荡、滚滚向前
Oh, to have life henceforth the poem of new joys.
哦,让生活从此变成一首欢乐的诗。
To indeed be a god! 做一个真正的上帝!
I see a sweetness in her smile. Blight light shines from her eyes. But life is complete; contentment is mine, Just just knowing that she's alive.
爱(诗歌和生活的重要主题)我在她微笑中看到了甜蜜/她的眼睛闪烁着光芒/但生活如此复杂/我已满意/只要知道/只要知道/她还活着
Sometimes the most beautiful poetry can be about simple things.Just don't let your poems be ordinary.
主题简单无妨,只是不要太俗套。(你可以写平凡的事物,但别让你写的诗平凡。)
I sound my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world.
惠特曼“站在世界屋脊上,我喊出我野性的狂叫”
a sweaty-toothed madman. 一个牙齿流汗的疯子
I close my eyes. this image
floats beside me. 我闭上眼睛,他的形象在我眼前晃悠
A sweaty-toothed madman with a stare that pounds my brain. 一个牙齿流汗的疯子,瞪得我心怦怦直跳
His hands reach out and choke me. 他伸出手,掐信我的脖子
all the time he's mumbling.Truth. 他一直在念叨真理
Truth is like, like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold.You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. You kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying to the moment we leave dying, it will just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
真理就像一床总让你双脚冰凉的毯子/你怎么扯,怎么拽,总也不够/踢也好,打也好,它总也盖不住我们/从我们哭着降生/到我们奄奄一息/它只会盖住你的脸/不管你如何痛苦/不管你如何痛苦/如何叫喊
Come my friend,till it's not too late to seek a newer world.From my purpose hold to be the other side of sunset.And though we are not now that strength which as old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are we are,one equal temper of heroic hearts.Maybe weak by time and fate, but strong is will,to strive, to seek,to find,and not to yield.
来吧,我的朋友,寻更新的世界尚为时不晚。我决心已定,要驶过夕阳的尽头,尽管我们不再有昔日的伟力,可以震天撼地,我们仍然有着同样的英雄般的心。时间和命运使它衰弱,但坚强意志仍在,去拼搏,去探索,去发现,永不屈服。
the difficulty in maintaining your own beliefs in the face of others.
坚持与从俗不同的信仰的困难。
we all have a great need for acceptance. But you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own, even though others may think them odd or unpopular, even though the herd may go.
我们都有一种被人接受的需要。但是你必须坚持自己的信仰是独特的是你自己的,哪怕别人认为它们很怪,或者很讨厌,哪怕一人都说,那太差。
I want you to find your own walk right now. Your own way of striding, pacing. Any direction. Anything yo
u want. Whether it's proud, whether it's silly, anything. Gentlemen, the courtyard is yours.
罗伯特?弗洛斯特:希望你们也到自己的路,到自己的步伐、步调,任何方向,任何东西都行,不管是自负也好,愚蠢也好,什么都行。
You don't have to perform. Just make it for yourself.
你们用不着表演,完全为你自己。
Swim against the stream.
要敢于逆流而上。
Oh ,captain ,my captain!
袄,船长,我的船长!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life!To put to rout all that was not life.And not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."(我步入丛林,因为我希望生活得有意义。我希望活得深刻,汲取生命中所有的精
华。把非生命的一切都击溃,以免让我在生命终结时,发现自己从来没有活过。)
版权声明:本站内容均来自互联网,仅供演示用,请勿用于商业和其他非法用途。如果侵犯了您的权益请与我们联系QQ:729038198,我们将在24小时内删除。
发表评论