Unit 1
I. Translate the following sentences into Chinese earnest
1. But we must learn to be equally good at what is short and sharp and what is long and tough.
但我们必须学会同样善于应付短暂而干脆与漫长而艰难的局面。
2. It is generally said that the British are better at the last.
人们普遍认为英国人最终总是会胜出的。
3. Britain ,other nations thought ,had drawn a sponge across the slate.
其他国家认为英国输得一无所有了。
4. We stood all alone a year ago ,and to many countries it seemed that our account was closed.
一年前我们孤军作战,许多国家都以为我们被彻底打败了。
II. Translate the following sentences into English
1. 我安排他们在小酒吧见面,但那个小伙子一直都没有来。(turn up)
I had arranged for them to meet each other at the pub, but the young man never turned up.
2. 你无法仅凭表象判断形势是否会变得对我们不利。(tell from appearance)
You cannot tell merely from appearances whether things will turn out unfavourable to us or not. 3. 那个士兵每次打仗都冲锋在前,从而赢得了国家的最高荣誉。 (stand in the gap)
The soldier, who stood in the gap in every battle, gained the highest honors of the country.
4. 主席讲话很有说服力,委员会其他成员都听从他的意见。(yield to)
The chairman spoke so forcefully that the rest of the committee yielded to his opinion.
5. 他们现在生活富裕了,但也曾经历坎坷。(ups and downs)
They are well-to-do now, but along the way they had their ups and downs.
6. 这次演讲我将说明两个问题。(address oneself to)
There are two questions to which I will address myself in this lecture.
7. 我们正筹划为你举办一次盛大的圣诞聚会。(in sb.’s honour)
We are planning a big Christmas party in your honour.
8. 听到那个曲子,我回想起了儿童时代。(throw one’s mind back)
Hearing that tune threw my mind back to my childhood.
Unit 2
I. Translate the following sentences into Chinese
1.Manners,it seems to me ,are about giving people space ,not stepping on toes ,granting people their private domain.
在我看来,礼貌就是给别人以空间,不冒犯别人,允许别人有隐私。
2. Personal space is mostly a public matter;we all allow all kinds of invasions of persona l space in private.
个人空间基本上是一个公众场合的问题;私下里,我们是允许对个人空间进行各种各样的侵犯的。
3.Like the twelve-mile limit around our national shores, personal space is our individual border beyond which no stranger can penetrate without making us uneasy.
就像我们国家拥有12海里领海权一样,个人空间就是我们的边界,只要有陌生人穿过这个边界,就会使我们感到不安。
4. Ultimately, personal space is psychological ,not physical: it has to do with the space outside us than with our inner space.
说到底,个人空间是个心理上的问题,而不是个物理上的问题;与其说它与我们的外部空间相关,还不如说它与我们的内心空间相关。
II. Translate the following sentences into English
1. 那只鸽子被卡在树杈里,不多一会儿就跌落下来。(wedge) The pigeon was wedged in the fork of a branch and it fell after a while.
2. 驾车人该付多少钱需要根据他对别人车子造成损坏的程度而定。(be proportional to)
The payment that the motorist will have to make is proportional to the amount of damage he has done to the other persons car.
3. 你只有伏在地上慢慢爬过一条狭长的地道才能进入山洞。(inch)
You can only enter the cave by inching through a narrow tunnel on your stomach.
4. 她一面结结巴巴地为没有敲门就进入我的办公室而道歉,一面羞怯地朝门口走去。(sidle)
She stammered some apology for entering my office without knocking as she sidled towards the door.
5. 他尽力向我解释说不是因为我工作不好而解雇我,而是因为公司面临着财政困境。(take pains to)
He took pains to explain to me that I was not being dismissed because I didn’t do my work well
but because the company was confronted by financial troubles.
6. 年轻士兵的入伍给军队带来了新的希望并鼓舞了士气。(infuse ... into ...)
The enlistment of young soldiers infused new hope and morale into the army.
7. 一旦大一些的男孩子们声称草坪属于他们,小一些的孩子就只好退避三舍。(stake a claim to)
Once the older boys stake a claim to the lawn, the younger ones had to give way to them to avoid conflict.
8. 跟在她身后的人让她心神不安,她不由得加快了脚步。(make sb. uneasy)
The man following her made her uneasy and she couldn’t help quickening her steps.
Unit 3
I. Translate the following sentences into Chinese
1. Given the relatively few restrictions governing access and usage, it is the communications modal equivalent of international waters.
由于登录和使用互联网的限制相对较少,它的作用就等同于通讯传播中的国际海域。
2. At first this might sound like an apparent contradiction: how can something ,that is ont the one hand responsible for global unification by enabling the free exchange of ideas, alienate the participants?
咋听起来这似乎相互矛盾:一种东西怎么会既能让人们自由地交流思想、从而使全球融为一体,同时又让人们彼此疏远呢?
3.I have not known this fellow to be given to exaggeration ,therefore when he described his Internet binges ,when he would spend over twenty-four hours on ling non-stop, it gave me pause to think.
据我所知,此人不喜欢夸大其词,因此当他描述自己的网瘾、说常常连续泡网一天一夜时,这引起了我的思考。
版权声明:本站内容均来自互联网,仅供演示用,请勿用于商业和其他非法用途。如果侵犯了您的权益请与我们联系QQ:729038198,我们将在24小时内删除。
发表评论